Jaehyun Jo joined Rutgers from the fall, 2020. He got his BA in Korean Language and Literature & MA in Korean Linguistics and KFL Acquisition from Yonsei University; and PhD in East Asian Linguistics from UCLA. He is interested in examining everyday language use and its connections to culture, identity, and society from the perspective of functional/interactional linguistics. Dr. Jo plays the haegeum and is an enthusiastic food lover. He will be teaching Korean language courses, translation, socio-pragmatics, and language and cultural ramifications both in the Korean & East Asian contexts to support the growth of the lively new Korean major and the graduate program at Rutgers.
- Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles (East Asian Linguistics)
- B.A. Yonsei University (Korean Language and Literature)
- M.A. Yonsei University (Korean Linguistics and KFL Acquisition)
Areas of Specialization
- Korean Linguistics
- Discourse analysis
Selected Articles and Book Chapters
- Cho, Young-mee Yu. & Jo, Jaehyun. (Forthcoming) Linguistic Politeness in Korean Speech Level and Terms of Address, Chris Shei and Saihong Li (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Asian Linguistics.
- Jo, Jaehyun. (2018) Korean ‘Formality’ Endings ‘-supnita/-supnikka’ and ‘-eyo’ in the Negotiation of Interactional Identity in the News Interview, Journal of Pragmatics 136, 20-38.
- Jo, Jaehyun. (2018) The Stance and Subjectivity in the Use of the Korean Post-Verbal Negation ‘-ci anh-’ in the Telephone Conversation, International Journal of Korean Language Education 4(2), 81-106.
- Jo, Jaehyun. (2018) Lexical Analysis on the Collocates of ‘pwulkyo (Buddhism)’ in Korea between 1930’ – 2003, Chakana, International Journal of Korean Studies 2, University of Costa Rica, 183-196.
- Jo, Jaehyun. (2011) The Influence of Previous Experience of Learning a Typologically Similar Second Language on the Acquisition of Korean as a Third Language, Language Facts and Perspectives 27, 277-300.
- Jo, Jaehyun & Kim, K. (2010) The ‘Han (regret)’ and ‘Excitement’ in Korean Traditional Music, reprinted in Kim, H. (2010). “Readings in Korean Culture for Foreigners”. Episteme, Seoul.
- Park, Jisoon. & Jo, Jaehyun. (2009) A Comparative Analysis of Summary of Korean Text by Korean and Foreign Students, Korean Journal of Applied Linguistics 25(2), 227-250.
Courses Taught or Developed
- Beginning/Intermediate/Advanced Korean
- Structure of Korean
- Languages and Cultures of Asia
- Korean Translation: Introduction to Practical Translation & Translation Theories
Selected Awards and Distinctions
- Mellon-EPIC(Excellence in Pedagogy and Innovative Classrooms) Fellowship, the Humanities Division, UCLA 2018
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, the Dept. of Asian Languages and Cultures, UCLA 2017
- Departmental Research Fellowship, the Dept. of Asian Languages and Cultures, UCLA 2017
- Summer Research Grant, the Graduate Division, UCLA 2017
- Life-time member of American Association of Teachers of Korean
- International Pragmatics Association
- Applied Linguistics Association of Korea
- The Korean Language and Culture Education Society
- The Haegeum Player for the Documentary Film Land of My Father, Hollywood, California 2019
- An Organizer for the 26th Japanese/Korean Linguistics Conference, UCLA 2018