Greetings SAS Students!
Note: All Fall 2020 courses in the department will be taught online
- SR (synchronous remote) courses meet online during the class time specified in the Schedule of Classes.
- AR (asynchronous remote) classes do not meet during a specific class time; students work at their own pace following a schedule established by the course instructor.
- Students will be given time to learn how to use Sakai, Canvas, WebEx, Zoom, and other online learning tools for success in their classes.
- Fall semester faculty office hours will be held online by arrangement only.
Chair, Asian Languages and Cultures
All undergraduate courses will be offered remotely via the internet in the fall 2020 term.
The Schedule of Classes has been fully updated to indicate exactly how each class will be organized. Look up each of your courses in the Schedule of Classes to review the Course Format, the Section Comments, and the Course Notes.
In a WHITE box adjacent to each individual Index Number:
- If the course format includes Days of the Week and Times, then the class meets live remotely, usually using Zoom or WebEx. You are required to be logged-in and in virtual attendance at those times. This format, sometimes referred to as SYCHRONOUS REMOTE, emulates the face-to-face classroom experience and all students will be meeting together with the instructor at the designated times. You can ignore the Campus Location since the course is meeting remotely.
- If the course format states Hours by Arrangement, then the class does not have specific meeting times, rather the course site will indicate specific weekly requirements and assignment due dates. In addition, flexible opportunities to meet with TAs, instructors, and classmates via Zoom or WebEx will be a part of these classes. This format, sometimes referred to as ASYNCHRONOUS REMOTE, provides flexibility for students who have difficulty being logged in at a particular time while we are operating in this remote environment including those that are now in other time zones. These courses still require the same number of hours per week as more traditional course formats and meet the same learning goals. These courses ARE NOT self-paced; there is a weekly schedule of assignments and work submission beginning the first week of classes and opportunities for live, remote, interaction.
- If the course format includes both a specific meeting time AND Hours by Arrangement, then the course meets live remotely, usually using Zoom or WebEx, at the specified time. You are required to be logged in and in virtual attendance at those times. The courses ALSO contains more flexible weekly requirements that you will complete online. This format, sometimes referred to as HYBRID REMOTE, often allows recitations to meet live remotely as a group.
In a BLUE box located above each specific section of the course. The section comments include:
- How to access the course online using Canvas, Sakai or an alternative Learning Management System
- Topics Course Subtitles
- Prerequisite information
- Registration restrictions
- Software/technology requirements such as the need for a Webcam, Microphone, Scanner and/or Test-Taking Authentication Program. For resources, visit the Student Tech Guide and for financial assistance to acquire need technology, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
In a GREY box located under the title of the course. The course notes include:
- SAS Core goals
- Instructions for seeking special permission
- Registration limitations and course equivalences
You may also be able to find more information by visiting Department web pages.
Registration Policies and Deadlines
Classes begin Tuesday, September 1. Please log in to Canvas and Sakai (or any other LMS listed in the Schedule of Classes for your courses) on Tuesday, September 1 to begin your classes.
WebReg and Registration Changes
Continuing Students may use WebReg now to make schedule adjustments.
SAS Students may withdraw from individual classes with a W through November 30, as long as they retain 12 credits of active registration.
SAS Students may withdraw from all classes by taking a Leave of Absence through November 30.
Class Attendance Changes
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8: attend MONDAY classes
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25: attend FRIDAY classes
(we know….this seems crazy!)
Advising and Registration Assistance
Help is just a mouse-click away! Like you, SAS Advisors are working remotely although the physical Advising Centers are closed. But, we are here to assist you through a range of channels:
Need help registering or adjusting your schedule: Advisors are available for Live Chat weekdays 9am-5pm EST
Virtual Live Advising Appointments: Need to speak with an advisor for long term planning? Call 848-932-8888 to set up a virtual appointment. Advisors are happy to meet with you using Zoom or WebEx.
Coming Soon: Schedule your appointment with our new on-line scheduling tool!